Chris most recently composed the film score for the feature film "Buck Run," which had its world premiere at the Palm Springs International Film Festival in January 2019. The movie is directed by Nick Frangione and stars James Le Gros. Variety says: "The drifting electric guitar of Chris Brokaw’s score further amplifies a timelessly melancholy air." "Barracuda," a feature film by Julia Halperin and Jason Cortlund that had its US release in October 2017, was also scored by Chris. "Barracuda" was nominated for the SXSW Gamechanger Award and the SXSW Grand Jury Award at the SXSW Film Festival 2017. It won the Grand Jury Prize for Best Narrative Feature at the Oak Cliff Film Festival. Hollywood Reporter writes: "Scored by Chris Brokaw with lots of evocative guitar, this unsettling, quietly edgy genre piece maintains its grip on the viewer throughout."
The feature film 'Barracuda' has a film score by Chris (see this poster full size)
Chris began scoring films in 2004 with Roddy Bogawa's feature "I Was Born But". He has scored these works:
- I WAS BORN BUT (2004, Roddy Bogawa)
- ROAD (2005, Leslie McCleave)
- SOSPIRA (2010, Lana Z Caplan)
- NOW, FORAGER (2012, Julia Halperin+Jason Cortlund)
- TAKEN BY STORM: THE ART OF STORM THORGERSON (2013, Roddy Bogawa)
- BARRACUDA (2017, Julia Halperin+Jason Cortlund)
- MOTHER'S GARDEN (2018, Derek Johnson)
- BUCK RUN (2019, Nick Frangione)
"Road" won the award for Best Original Score at the Brooklyn International Film Festival. Both 'Now, Forager' and 'Taken By Storm' enjoyed week long screenings at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
Chris also composed music for 3 "Heni Talks" directed by Roddy Bogawa in 2018:
- Jonas Mekas: The Making of Andy Warhol's 'Empire' (watch)
- Ashley Bickerton: Looking For Something Beyond (watch)
- Under The Gaze: The Art of Cindy Sherman (watch)
"I love scoring films, and welcome new work and collaborations. I find it both intuitive and challenging. My hope is to give a director what she/he wants while surprising us both in the process. I tend to work entirely with physical instruments and play most of it myself, though I have employed other musicians from time to time. I also try to bring both standard and unorthodox approaches to sound design."
Trailers from some of Chris' work: